So you have unboxed your shiny new Amazon Alexa, now the first thing you need to do is to get your device online by connecting it to a wifi network. For that get your wifi name and password handy. Before we connect Alexa to wifi, let’s first understand what Alexa is and what it can do.
Amazon Alexa is a voice-controlled device with a small built-in speaker that plays music, control smart home devices, make calls, send and receive messages, read audio books and many more.
Alexa connects with wifi to manage your various smart devices; it can control lights, fans, TVs, and more with compatible connected devices. The Amazon Echo Dot can hear you from across the room, even while music is playing.
How to connect Alexa to wifi?
To get started, download and install the Alexa app. You can download the app from the App Store on your IOS device or from Google Store for Android. You can also download it from the https://alexa.amazon.in on your wifi enabled computer.
- Enter your Amazon account credentials and press sign in. Now you will be required to give permission to Alexa to access your contacts and notifications. Tap on the menu button on the top right corner of the page and click Settings on the drop-down box.
- Then ‘Set up a new device’ option will appear, click on it. Choose the appropriate device type from the list and tap on connect Alexa to wifi button. Place the Alexa Echo Dot at a central location at least 8 inches away from walls. Plug a power adapter into the Echo Dot and a socket. Use the power adapter which comes with the Alexa and avoids other USB power adapters as they may not provide enough power to the Alexa.
- Now the app may ask to connect it via your Smartphone’s wireless settings. Follow the instructions shown on the screen to connect through wifi to a custom named Amazon network.
- Now a confirmation message will be displayed that Alexa connects with the network, tap on Continue. A list of available wifi networks will appear within the app itself, select the network with which you want to connect Alexa to wifi and enter a password if prompted.
- The app screen will show preparing your device and if the wifi connection is successfully established then you should see a message stating Setup Complete: Alexa connects to the wifi.
Keep in mind the following tips while connecting the Echo Dot to a wifi network-
- If the setup process does not automatically start, then press and hold the Action button on the device until the light ring turns orange. Then open the Alexa app, go to the menu and select Alexa Devices and click on Add Alexa Device.
- If the Echo Dot does not connect to your wifi, restart the device by unplugging and plugging again the device. Still, if it does not connect then restore the device to its default factory settings.
We hope you will find this article useful and successfully be able to connect Alexa to wifi, however, if things seem a little tough to understand you can contact us. You can call us on our toll-free number or chat with us on the live chat window and our technicians will help you to connect Alexa to wifi.